Friday, 28 September 2012

Bricklayer, trader arrested for stealing electric cable

 
L-R: Mohammed and Mufutau.
The Special Protection Unit of the Lagos State Police Command has apprehended a 19-year-old bricklayer, Taiye Mufutau and a trader, Rabiu Mohamed, for allegedly stealing electric cables belonging to the Lagos State Electricity Board.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the suspects were arrested around Eko Bridge on Tuesday after some of the company’s security guards spotted them.

The suspects were said to have fled into an electricity unit where one of them was nearly electrocuted.
Mohammed, a 30-year-old man, said he had only stolen electric cables twice. He blamed his action on unemployment and unfavourable policies of the state government.

He said, “I was a scavenger. I used to sell metal scrap which I conveyed with my wheel barrow. This is what I used to feed my wife and daughter.

“However, when the state government came up with a law banning street hawking and other similar jobs, task force operatives started disturbing me. They seized five wheel barrows from me.

“When the trouble became too much, I couldn’t get any other means of livelihood, I decided to start stealing electric cables. The first one I stole, I sold it for N4, 000.”

Mufutau attributed his involvement to greed, adding that Mohammed introduced him to the crime.It is kind of funny but the truth is that there is poverty in the land May GOD ALMIGHTY deliver from from its hands can someone say Amen to that.
SOURCE;PUNCH

No comments:

Post a Comment